Resolutions and position papers are acted upon at WPHA’s annual meeting, which is held in conjunction with the annual conference (May). Current WPHA bylaws indicate that resolutions and positions papers must be available to the membership at least 30 days prior to the annual meeting. Resolutions and position papers must also be reviewed by a committee and the WPHA board prior to being made available to the membership. Thus, resolutions and position papers should be submitted early in the calendar year.
(adopted from the American Public Health Association)
Resolution: A statement of a specific action, series of actions, or a principle endorsed by the Association, and usually directed toward a specific external individual, organization, or event.
Policy Resolution: A concise statement of the Association's stance on specific issues affecting the health of the public. It may inform, exhort, show support (or lack of support) for programs or legislation or describe a course of action. It represents a new statement on the part of the Association, or a substantial modification or extension of existing policy of the Association.
Non-Policy Resolution: A concise statement by the Association on non-policy matters, such as the commemoration of a significant event.
- Statement of the problem. The reasons for the proposed action need to be documented. Each reason needs to begin with a participle phrase (e.g., "believing that", "recalling that", etc.).
- Statement of the desired action(s). The desired action(s) needs to be appropriate to the problem and feasible for the Association to undertake. Each desired action needs to be stated in a single phrase beginning with the action present tense of the verb (e.g., "requests", "notes", "expresses", etc.) and listed consecutively.
- Statement of the impact. May include cost to WPHA to implement recommended action, impact on public health.
- Length. No longer than 300 words.
1. Statement of the problem.
2. Purpose of the position paper.
3. Objectives to be attained.
4. The actions desired.
5. Methods for implementation.
6. Fiscal and public health impact statement.
7. Length: No longer than ten (10) typed, double-spaced pages.
Email your resolution to the WPHA office, at WPHA@badgerbay.co. Questions can be directed to 920-882-3650.