WPHA collaborates with the Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association (WPHCA) on Wisconsin HealthCorps. Wisconsin HealthCorps is a program of AmeriCorps, a national program, implemented locally, that engages individuals ("members”) in a year of service (Approx. 1700 hours) to address pressing community problems. Wisconsin HealthCorps members are placed at federally qualified community health centers, health departments, and non-profit agencies across the state.
We are excited to announce that the application for the 2017-2018 Wisconsin HealthCorps program year has officially opened on the AmeriCorps portal!
Any interested applicant may apply to our program. You will find the link here.
While our general application has opened on the AmeriCorps portal, we are still selecting our host sites for the 2017-2018 program year. Our host sites and their open positions will be made available on the Wisconsin HealthCorps website the first week in May.
If you have any questions about the application process, or our program, please reach out to Kysa Stocking, Program Director.
WI HealthCorps Program:
Goals: Increase access to primary care, improve individual health, decrease cost to health care system, and improve community health.
- At the end of the three year project period, Wisconsin’s communities’ knowledge of healthy behaviors will be improved, and some of Wisconsin’s most vulnerable residents will be provided means to access health care.
- The project also helps create the next generation of public health professionals through service and professional growth opportunities.
Wisconsin HealthCorps members conduct a number of activities to achieve the desired outcomes:
- Providing individual and broad based health education
- Enrolling individuals in health benefits and service programs
- Building community coalitions with other local stakeholders
- Program funding is procured on an annual basis though a grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service. For the 2015-16 program year, CNCS supports $247,000 and the host sites support $186,000.
- As the state service commission, Serve Wisconsin, the Wisconsin National and Community Service Board, promotes service throughout the state by granting funds to AmeriCorps programs through the Corporation for National and Community Service.
2016 - 2017 Cohort